Proposal Preparation Guidelines


The Office for Sponsored Programs is always available to assist you with the proposal preparation process. The OSP Pre-award Staff can be reached at Our web site contains information that will be helpful to you when preparing your proposal. The web site provides access to guidelines, policies and procedures, forms, rates, and funding sources. Quick Facts is a composite of frequently requested facts by funding agencies. At Quick Facts you will find our DUNS number, congressional district, who signs certifications, where should sponsors send checks to and much more. The site also provides important instructions for faculty members who are seeking funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF).

Getting Started

The Principal Investigator (PI)/Project Director initiates the proposal process. He/She is responsible for the technical content, budget, addressing compliance issues, and the quality and preparation of the proposal. It is important that the funding agency's priorities and evaluation procedures are understood. It is a good idea to call the funding agency before submitting your proposal. The program officer may be able to make valuable suggestions to improve your proposal or direct you to another program whose priorities might better match your proposal.

The Department Chair or Unit Head, and in most circumstances the College Dean, reviews and approves the proposal and budget, certifying that the project is consistent with the mission of the Department and College/School, the academic soundness of the proposal, that resources will be available and that no commitments of University resources are made other than those described.

Required Signatures

Once prepared, the proposal is then forwarded to the Office for Sponsored Programs, where it is reviewed for compliance with Federal, State, and University regulations. The Executive Director or the Associate Director of the Office for Sponsored Programs reviews approves and signs all proposals. The signatures indicate endorsement and commitment to the project.

Eligibility for Principal Investigator Status

All externally funded projects conducted at the University of Connecticut are expected to be consistent with the teaching, research, and service missions of the University. All projects are therefore, carried out within departments, centers or institutes, or other administrative units under the direction of a faculty member or comparable professional employee.

By limiting principal investigator/project director status to a limited set of designated individuals and/or job categories, and by procuring appropriate dean and department head approval, the University is assured that the proposed research is consistent with its missions and that the necessary space, equipment, facilities and qualified personnel are available to conduct the proposed project. In all cases, the individual designated as Principal Investigator or Project Director are judged to be qualified to conduct an independent research or other educational project.

Faculty members automatically eligible to serve as Principal Investigators/Project Directors include members of the emeritus faculty and those faculty members who hold the following titles: University Professor, Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Research Professor, Associate Research Professor, Assistant Research Professor, Professor-in-Residence, Associate Professor-in-Residence, Assistant Professor-in-Residence, Research Scientist, Research Scholar, and Extension Educator.

Professional staff members normally eligible to serve as Principal Investigators/Project Directors include staff who hold titles typically associated with independent activity, whose appointment is subject to a rigorous review of credentials, and who have supervisor approval (i.e., signature on the proposal routing sheet), for example: Dean, Associate or Assistant Dean, Director, Associate or Assistant Director, Extension Professor, Associate or Assistant Extension Professor, Curator, Program Director, and selected University Staff Professionals, Specialists, and Educational Assistants.

Categories of employment normally considered ineligible to serve as Principal Investigator/ Project Directors are Instructor; Assistant Instructor; Lecturer; post-doctoral appointees; research associates, assistants and fellows; and visiting and other short-term appointees. In special cases, exceptions may be made. These special cases require a letter from the dean, department head, or unit administrator that delineates why an exception should be made and specifies the qualifications of the individual to serve as Principal Investigator/Project Director. These letters should be addressed to the Executive Director of the Office for Sponsored Programs. Appeals to negative decisions may be directed to the Vice President for Research.

Proposal Contents

Most sponsors publish guidelines on how to prepare a proposal. Their application package may include standard forms that will require a signature from an authorized official. Sponsor instructions should be followed carefully for content, page limitations and font size.

The following information encompasses the basic components of a proposal that can be used as a guide when sponsor requirements are not available or specific. At a minimum you will need to provide our office with the following:

  • The sponsor's URL or a copy of the sponsor’s guidelines, in order to review your proposal and prepare it for submission.
  • An Internal Proposal Review Form (routing form). This form needs to be signed by the principle investigator, department head and dean. (CLAS Dean need not sign unless there is a cost share commitment from that office.)
  • A Significant Financial Interest Review Form must be filled out by the PI and all key personnel named in the proposal. This includes Co-PI’s, Co-Investigators, Research Associates, Postdoctoral Fellows, but not Graduate Assistants, unless they are key personnel.
  • Cover Page. The Executive Director for the Office for Sponsored Programs is authorized to sign proposals for the university. A standard OSP cover page, as well as federally sponsored cover pages, can be found on our forms page. Information for completing a cover page that has been provided by the sponsor can be found at "Quick Facts" on our web site. At a minimum, the cover page should include the following information:
    • Title of the project
    • Duration of the project with start and end dates
    • Sponsor Name
    • Amount requested (List the Direct an Indirect (F&A) costs separately for the first year and for the total requested periods)
    • Signature of the Principal Investigator
    • Signature of the Authorized Official to sign for the University.
  • A project summary/abstract and a project description describing the objectives and methodology and significance of the proposed project. These sections may be provided to our office in draft form.
  • A budget and budget justification that reflects a reasonable estimate of expenses for each budget category is required. Include cost sharing/matching only if it is specifically required by the funding agency. This information is located on the Budgeting and Costing Guide.
  • Sub-Contracts: If there is a sub-contract involved, we will need to see a budget, a budget justification and a letter of commitment, signed by an authorized official of that organization. This information can be e-mailed to or faxed to our office at (860) 486-3726.
  • Special Service Facilities: Special Service Facilities provide services, not personnel. If Special Services Facilities are to be used, you will need to obtain a signed cost certification form from that center. The center director should also sign the internal proposal transmittal form.
  • Compliance Review: Federal regulations and University policies require that various University committees approve certain proposed activities. Compliance review and approvals for Animal and Human Subjects, Radioactive Substances, Bio-hazardous Substances, Controlled Substances, and Recombinant DNA may be necessary before your proposal can be signed. You will need to designate these areas on the Internal Proposal Review Form. Please refer to the compliance web site for the personnel in the specific compliance office that can assist with any approvals necessary for your proposal.
  • Optional items: The proposal contents listed below are fairly standard items required by many sponsors and may be included as part of your proposal:
    • A table of contents
    • Bibliography of pertinent literature
    • Vitae of all senior personnel
    • Recent publications
    • List of collaborators
    • Current and pending support
    • Description of available facilities and equipment

General Cost Principles

OMB Circular A-21

Sponsoring agency's budget requirements vary considerably depending on the sponsor and type of proposal. Cost principles specified in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-21, Principles for Determining Costs Applicable to Grants, Contracts and other Agreements with Educational Institutions are used to describe the cost principles for all sponsored agreements at the University of Connecticut. The tests for appropriateness under these principles are:

  • Reasonableness – A cost may be considered reasonable if the nature of the expenditure and the amount involved reflects the action that a prudent person would take under the circumstances.
  • Allocability – A cost is allocable if it is beneficial to the project.
  • Allowability – Costs must be allowed in accordance with the principles in A-21 or the terms of the sponsored agreement.
  • Consistency – Costs incurred for the same purpose in like circumstances must be treated consistently as either direct or facilities and administrative (F&A) costs, and the method used to estimate, record, and report costs must be consistent as well. See the table below for a description of how costs should be treated.

Nonrecoverable (Unallowable) Costs

Expenditures that cannot, by federal regulation (A-21) be reimbursed, either in whole or in part, from the federal government are considered non-recoverable (unallowable) costs. When preparing a budget, the following costs are considered non-recoverable and should not be included in your proposal budget. Please consult with the Office of Sponsored Programs if you have questions regarding these items.

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Alumni activities
  • Bad debts
  • Commencement and convocation costs
  • Donations and contributions
  • Development/fundraising costs
  • Entertainment costs
  • Employee morale
  • Excessive employment recruitment costs
  • Fines and penalties
  • Goods or services for personal use
  • Housing and personal living expenses
  • Investment management costs
  • Lobbying costs
  • Memberships
  • Moving costs
  • Student activity costs
  • Travel costs in excess of commercial coach airfare

Direct and F & A (Indirect) Costs Items

Direct costs are those costs that can be specifically identified with a particular sponsored activity. Direct costs are those costs that can be assigned to an activity relatively easily and with a high degree of accuracy.

F&A costs are costs that are incurred for common or joint objectives and therefore cannot be identified readily and specifically with a particular sponsored project, an instructional activity or any other institutional activity.

Costs must be treated consistently. Consistent treatment means that similar costs must be treated uniformly in the same manner as either a direct cost or as F & A costs. Certain types of costs, such as the salaries of administrative and clerical staff, office supplies and postage are normally treated as F & A costs, therefore, the same types of costs cannot be charged directly to federally sponsored agreements.

Direct Costs F & A Costs
Salaries & Wages/Fringe Benefits:
Faculty, other professionals, technicians, post doc associates, research associates, graduate students.
Salaries & Wages/Fringe Benefits:
Clerical and administrative assistants, fiscal manager, secretaries, directors.
Office Supplies:
Office supplies are normally included in the indirect costs base.
Office Supplies:
Pens, pencil, paper, staple, transparencies, toner cartridges, diskettes, printer paper, word processing and spreadsheet programs.
Lab and Computer Supplies:
Medical, scientific pharmaceutical supplies. Software and/or diskettes for research data collection and/or scientific and technical purposes.
General Computer Supplies:
Diskettes, printer paper, word processing and spreadsheet programs.
Equipment used for scientific, technical, and research purposes. Computers and printers dedicated to a particular project.
General office equipment such as copiers, printers, computers, fax machines.
Project specific space rental for off-campus facilities from a third party.
Utilities, building use, grounds maintenance, renovations, and alterations.
Postage, printing and photocopying:
Normally indirect unless the specific project scope of work, such as surveys or questionnaires, clearly indicates a need for a volume of costs beyond routine.
Postage, printing and photocopying:
US non-priority or inter-office mail delivery, printing of administrative forms, or photocopying of routine low volume material.
Long distance calls, phone surveys or calls to project participants.
Local calls, cell phones, installation and maintenance.
Maintenance & Repairs:
Requires justification that the expenditures are directly related to the specific award.
Maintenance & Repairs:
Maintenance and repairs to general purpose equipment, buildings and grounds.
Recruitment of research subjects or for personnel approved for a specific project.
Public relations.
Project specific research.
Freight/express deliveries:
Justification required that cost was needed to transport project material in a timely manner.
Freight/express deliveries:
Routine or internal courier.
Project specific research.
Miscellaneous Costs:
Subcontract Costs;
Service Center Charges;
Training costs,
Miscellaneous Costs:
Dues, memberships and subscriptions;
Computer network charges;

The OSP reviews the appropriateness of costs to determine if they qualify as direct costs. Exceptions (allowing costs listed in the F & A Column as direct costs) to the above list are rare and are reviewed on a case by case basis by the OSP. Exceptions may occur when:

  • The program is a large complex project such as a center project that involves assembling and managing teams of investigators from a large number of institutions or units.
  • The project involves extensive data collection, analysis and entry, surveying, tabulation, cataloging, searching literature, or reporting.
  • The project requires coordinating travel and meeting arrangements for a large number of program participants, patients or subjects; or for conferences or seminars.
  • A project where the principal focus is the preparation and production of manuals, large reports, books or monographs (excluding routine progress and technical reports.)
  • The project is off campus and does not have access to normal department administrative services.

Budget Preparation

The proposal budget is the financial plan of action that reflects the costs required to perform the proposed work statement. The following information has been prepared to help you develop your budget plan. See our Budgeting and Costing Guide for current information on fringe benefits, graduate stipends, Facilities and Administration rates (Indirect Costs) and other budgetary matters.

It is important to demonstrate that the budget proposed is reasonable. A budget justification should be submitted in order to allow each budget item to be explained relative to the proposed research. The specifics of the sponsoring agency's budgetary guidelines should be followed carefully. Budgets should be prepared for the entire proposed project. Both direct and F & A costs should be identified in the budget. The following categories are generally included in the preparation of a proposal budget.

Budget Categories and Justification

Salaries and Wages

List all personnel, including the names, roles, how many months, or the percent of effort that will be devoted to the project. Salaries and wages should be budgeted with an inflation rate specified on the Budgeting and Costing Guide on the OSP web site. Information on salaries and rates can be found on the Budgeting and Costing Guide. Salary classifications and compensation can be found at the Human Resources web site. or at the UConn Payroll web site. The NIH guidelines for salary limitation on grants should be adhered to when calculating faculty salaries.


Faculty on nine-month appointments may receive salary during the summer months. A maximum of three-ninths of the academic year salary may be requested. Sponsor guidelines will often dictate the number of months that can be allotted for summer salary.

Graduate Assistants

The Graduate School regulations state that full-time graduate assistants will devote no more than 20 hours per week to their assistantship duties during the academic year. Federal immigration regulations prohibit International students on F-1 or J-1 visas from working more than this amount when classes are in session. When classes are not in session, both international and domestic students may devote their full-time efforts to employment. Under special circumstances, a domestic graduate student may devote more than 20 hours per week to employment on campus during the academic year. In those cases, assurance must be given by his or her advisory committee, that such effort will not compromise satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Graduate Assistantship appointments ordinarily are made for a nine-month period during the academic year. They may also be made for a maximum of three summer months, depending upon the availability of funding.

The budget justification for graduate students should include the number of graduate students; their level of experience, whether it is an academic year or calendar year appointment, and how many hours will be spent on the project per week (20 hours a week for a quarter-time Graduate Assistant). Refer to the graduate web site. for detailed information on graduate education, tuition costs and levels of experiences. Detailed costing information can be found on the OSP Budgeting and Costing Guide.

Student Labor

Costs should reflect the hours, the hourly rate and length of time being spent on the proposal. Please refer to the student employment web site. for levels of experience and compensation.

Other Professionals

Personnel included in this category are typically research assistants and associates, technicians, and computer programmers. The percentage of effort or hours should be stated for this category of personnel.

Post Docs

Post Doc stipends should follow the NIH NRSA stipend levels which can be found at NIH Notice NOT-OD-12-033 . The percentage of effort or hours should be stated for this category of personnel.

Administrative/Clerical Staff

OMB Circular A-21 states that the salaries of administrative/clerical staff should normally be treated as F & A costs and, therefore, cannot be charged to sponsored projects. Please refer to the allowable cost section below for information on budgeting this category.

Fringe Benefits

The fringe benefit rates should reflect the current rate schedule for the employment category being proposed. Please refer to the Budgeting and Costing Guide.

Tuition Costs

Unless prohibited by the sponsor, graduate tuition charges should be itemized as a direct cost on all proposal budgets. Budgets must include a line item for 60% of the full time in-state tuition for each graduate student assigned to the project. The tuition charge for graduate assistants budgeted at less than full time will be pro-rated based on the percentage of their appointment. Fellowships and internships are exempt from the charge. Tuition increases for the outgoing years will be projected at 6%. The charge will not be subject to fringe benefits or indirect costs. For more information, refer to the Guidelines for Charging Graduate Tuition on Grants Policy.


Equipment is defined as tangible, non-expendable, personal property having an anticipated life of one year or more with a unit acquisition cost of $5,000 or greater. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, furnishings, scientific apparatus, machinery, library volumes, artwork, motor vehicles, boats and livestock. You will need to identity the individual pieces of equipment requested, the importance to the project, and why existing equipment does not suffice. Price quotes or the basis for projected prices may be required for larger pieces of equipment. Equipment costs are excluded from the Facilities and Administrative base. For more information see equipment definitions on the Accounting web site.


Travel costs are classified as those expenses for transportation, lodging, subsistence and related items incurred by employees who are traveling on official University business. Domestic and foreign travel should be separately identified. Unless otherwise stated by the sponsor, domestic travel is considered to be travel among any of the 50 United States, its possessions and territories, and Canada. Foreign travel is classified as travel outside these areas. Travel justification should include who is traveling, where, the purpose of the trip, the number of trips, the costs for the air fare, per diem, lodging, car rental and other costs associated with the travel. For more information see the travel web site.

Materials and Supplies

Supplies and materials are any consumable item having an acquisition unit cost of less than $1,000. These costs should be project-specific, reasonable and based on actual or historical use. It is not necessary to break down each individual item, but a general description and amount by general classification should be provided (e.g. glassware, test tubes, or chemicals).

Publication Costs

Publication costs consist of the documenting, preparing, publishing, disseminating, page and reprint charges, and sharing of project findings and supporting material. Budgets should be based on actual experience with an inflation factor built in for future years.


If a portion of the work is to be completed by another institution, we will need at a minimum a letter of intent, signed by an authorized representative of the sub-contractor's institution, stating their willingness to participate with the University on the proposed project. The sub-contractor will need to provide our office with a statement of work and a budget. Examples of letters of intent can be found on our web site. under forms. Facilities and Administrative costs are charged on the first $25,000 of each sub-contract.


Consultants are independent contractors, not employees, who provide a service that cannot be performed satisfactorily by existing University personnel during the performance of the project. The consultant costs should include the period of service or the number of days on the project, the professional fee, travel expenses and other related expenses. Consultants must provide a letter of intent to the Office for Sponsor Programs.

Animal Care Costs

Animal costs should reflect the type of animal, the number of animals and the unit cost per animal. Per Diem costs should list the number of days of Per Diem. Per Diem rates can be found on the OARS web site.. The current F & A rate should be applied to Animal Care Costs.

Other Expenses

Indicate any other project-related expenses, such as postage, long-distance telephone charges, equipment maintenance, boat charges, computer services, participant stipends and human subject costs. Justification would include the number of units and cost per unit.

Facilities and Administration (F & A) Costs

Facilities and Administrative costs, formally called indirect costs, are those costs that are incurred for common or joint objectives and therefore cannot be identified readily and specifically with a particular sponsored project.

It is the policy of the University to collect full F & A costs at the federally negotiated rates from all funding sources whenever possible. Occasionally, a sponsoring agency will specify an F & A policy inconsistent with the University's negotiated rate. Only the Office of the Vice President for Research has the authority to accept a reimbursement rate other than our negotiated rate. These payments from the various programs are reimbursement to the University for certain actual costs incurred by support functions to conducting sponsored research programs at the University. In addition, a portion of this money from research grants goes to the Research Council to be used for research incentive funds, grant programs for faculty and graduate students, and to meet cost sharing requirements for large equipment purchases. The University negotiates its rate with the DHHS, and is based on Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC). Our negotiated rate agreement can be found under Quick Facts, along with the name and address of our cost rate approval.

Cost Sharing/Matching


Cost sharing or matching on grants and contracts reflects the university’s contribution to the total costs of a sponsored research project. Cost sharing, therefore, represents the portion of the project costs not paid for by the sponsor.

General Information

Cost sharing should be limited to those situations where it is mandated by the sponsor. In certain circumstances, the University may determine that a contribution is necessary to ensure the success of a competitive award or competition. All cost sharing dollars require written approval from the source of the commitment.

The PI or department should refrain from making commitments voluntarily, as any promised cost share becomes part of the project cost, even if only mentioned in the narrative and not in the budget. Once awarded, the commitment will have to be tracked in the University’s accounting system and is subject to audit. Failure to comply with the cost-sharing commitment may result in a loss of funding.

Required Approval

For internal commitments, the "Institutional Cost Share and Other Financial Commitments" section on the Proposal Transmittal & Approval form should be completed and signed by the appropriate Unit/Department Head or Dean.

For external commitments, a letter of commitment signed by the agency's authorized official is required.

Criteria for Cost Sharing Commitments

OMB Circular A-110, Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Nonprofit Organizations, states that contributions, including cash and third party in-kind, are acceptable as cost-sharing contributions.

The cost sharing/match must meet the following criteria to be accepted:

  • The match must be verifiable from the recipient’s records. You will be asked to specify an account in the University's accounting system (FRS).
  • Not included as a contribution for any other project.
  • Necessary and reasonable to accomplish the project's objectives.
  • Not paid by the Federal Government under another award, except where authorized by Federal statute to be used as cost sharing or matching.

Types of Cost Sharing

Typical examples of cost sharing include the percentage of personnel effort to be expended on the project; associated employee benefits; Graduate Research Assistant Tuition and un-recovered indirect costs. Costs incurred prior to the award are not allowable matches. Program income earned under an award may not count as cost sharing unless authorized by the sponsor.

Cash contributions are sources of funds from either internal or external sources. University cost sharing is considered cash, as it can be accounted for from the University's records. In-Kind contributions are non-cash contributions typically provided from outside sources such as donations of equipment, sub-contractors of time or facilities, or volunteer services.

Use of University Facilities

In preparing proposals, PIs must be aware that University facilities are to be used only for those purposes that are part of the University's mission (research, teaching and public service). In instances where research projects are supported by outside entities, any use of University facilities must be reviewed and approved by the Office for Sponsored Programs.

Further, University employees may participate in projects, which are carried out with University facilities, only in their capacity as employees of the institution. That is, University facilities may not be used by an employee in his or her capacity as a consultant to an outside entity. Consulting is an activity carried out on personal time with personal, rather than institutional, resources.

Issues Requiring the Approval of Oversight Committees

The Office of Research Compliance (ORC) can assist you in obtaining appropriate review and approval of research areas that will need the consideration of an oversight committee. Many times a sponsor will require a signature from a compliance office at the time of submission while other sponsors only require compliance review and approval upon award. If your research will use any of the areas listed below, please contact the ORC at 486-8513.

Animal Subjects

The University of Connecticut has established, and must maintain, policies and procedures to ensure the humane care and use of live vertebrate animals involved in research and teaching activities. The University's animal program, facilities, and procedures are overseen by an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). All plans for research, teaching or training activities involving the use of animal subjects must be submitted for review and approval to the IACUC. See the IACUC web site for forms, policies and contact information.

Controlled Substances

Controlled substances are regulated by the CT Department of Consumer Protection Drug Control Division (DCD). The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) maintains a database of personnel who are licensed by the DCD to use controlled substances on any of the University’s campuses. Individuals with valid needs to utilize controlled substances for University-sanctioned research protocols and related project work must complete a DCD registration form. In addition, researchers must also register with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Contact Stefan Wawzyniecki, Chemical Health and Safety Manager, for further information on procedures for obtaining a license prior to the use of any controlled substance in research-related activities on University property.

Human Subjects

All plans for research, teaching and training activities involving the use of human subjects must be submitted for prior review by the Committee on the Use of Human Subjects in Research to ensure that no research done under the jurisdiction of the University exposes persons who participate as subjects or respondents to unreasonable risks to their health, general well-being or privacy. See the IRB web site for forms, policies and contact information.

Laboratory Safety

The Laboratory Safety Committee oversees the laboratory safety program administered by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). The Committee develops and reviews policies that help: 1) ensure a safe working environment within laboratories, and 2) maintain compliance with US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), CT Department of Environmental Protection (CT DEP), and CT Occupational Safety and Health Administration (CT OSHA) regulations. The Committee is comprised of faculty, laboratory, administration, and EH&S representatives, and meets quarterly to review laboratory safety and hazardous chemical waste issues at the University, including the Regional Campuses. Initial laboratory safety training is required for all new professors, staff, and graduate students who will be working in laboratories; thereafter, refresher training is required every other year.

For information or assistance with issues pertaining to laboratory safety or hazardous waste storage and disposal procedures, please contact the University's Chemical Health and Safety Manager, Stefan Wawzyniecki, or the Laboratory Safety Committee Chairperson, Dr. Ben Bahr. Training schedules and other pertinent information are available on the EH&S webpage.

Laser Safety

The Laser Safety Committee oversees the laser safety program administered by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). The Committee develops and reviews policies that help: 1) ensure a safe working environment within laboratories, and 2) maintain compliance with CT Occupational Safety and Health Administration (CT OSHA) regulations. The Committee is comprised of faculty, administration, and EH&S representatives, and meets quarterly to review laser safety issues at the University, including the Regional Campuses. Anyone using lasers must successfully complete the University’s online laser safety training program; please contact Dawn Kemp for enrollment information. A laboratory-specific Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) must be developed by the Primary Laser Researcher (PLR) for each laser in use. Specialized systems may require further training and protective equipment provided by the PLR.

For information or assistance with issues pertaining to laser safety or the development of a laser SOP, please contact the University’s Laser Safety Officer, Dr. Martin Graham, or the Laser Safety Committee Chairperson, Dr. Doug Hamilton. Additional information is available on the EH&S webpage.

Radiation Safety

The Radiation Safety Committee oversees the radiation safety program administered by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). The Committee reviews radioactive material research protocols and develops policies that help: 1) ensure a safe working environment within laboratories, and 2) maintain compliance with US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (US NRC) regulations. The Committee is comprised of faculty, laboratory, administration, and EH&S representatives, and meets quarterly to review radiation safety and low-level radioactive waste disposal issues at the University, including the Regional Campuses. Initial radiation safety training is required for all new professors, staff, and graduate students who will be working with radioactive materials or x-ray producing equipment; thereafter, refresher training is required on an annual basis. Research protocols must be reviewed and approved by the Committee before radioactive material can be ordered through EH&S. Initial training is required for non-users who work in a laboratory where radioactive materials are used; thereafter, refresher training is provided on an as-needed basis.

For information or assistance with issues pertaining to radiation safety or radioactive waste storage and disposal procedures, please contact the University's Radiation Safety Manager, Dr. Martin Graham, or the Radiation Safety Committee Chairperson, Dr. Carol Teschke. Training schedules and other pertinent information, including the Radiation Safety Manual for UConn, are available on the EH&S webpage.

Recombinant DNA (rDNA) and Biological Agents

The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) reviews all research and teaching activities that involve recombinant DNA (rDNA), biological agents and toxins. The purpose of the IBC review is to ensure that University activities comply with government regulations and provide appropriate safeguards for human health and the environment. For each research or teaching project, an internal document known as a 'Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement' (MUA) should be submitted by the faculty member. The IBC web site provides links to the MUA form, applicable government documents (e.g. guidelines from NIH and CDC), and other information. For more information and further assistance with biosafety issues contact Leslie Delpin, Biological Safety Officer with Environmental Health & Safety, at (860) 486-3613 or Carol Auer, faculty Chairperson of the IBC, at (860) 486-1878.